Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Calling all educators... and others...

K.  School starts tomorrow and I'm STILL torn about whether or not to cut the answer pages out of the backs of my students' new books.  The books come with a DVD with activities in it that they have to do.
Here's what I've come up with.  Please read the information, then vote on the poll.  I really want your feedback too, so when you vote, you must leave an explanation as to why you voted that way as well as any other options or suggestions you may have.

Pros: 
1. The students can check their answers right away to see if they got the answers correct and, ideally, learn from what they got wrong and watch the video again.  
2. That means less grading for me.  

Cons:
1. Obviously, they're high schoolers and likely to not even watch the video, but just copy the answers from the back of the book.
2. If they do that, they will not learn the information and since this is a beginning level class, they will not form a good foundation, which is something I as the instructor will have to deal with for the next two or three years.

Side notes:
1. If I don't cut them out, their homework would be worth less than it is currently (HW is 40%, will be 20%) and their tests will be worth more (going from 40% to 50%).  So if they cheat on the homework their grade will suffer because I will probably still use part of the video in their tests.

I'm leaning towards leaving them in for a semester and seeing how it goes.  I hope you guys get this and vote before I leave today!  :)

11 comments:

  1. Actually, I won't give them their books till Thursday, so I still have Wednesday after school to remove them if I decide to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut them out. I don't have one problem with that. Your extra work on this end will eliminate a lot more work on the other end. Or cut out every other page, and make sure that the assignments for homework include questions with and without answers. I would treat the fundamentals of sign language just like coaches, math and reading teachers do. Every skill requires a certain amount of memorization and muscle memory and the more you do it, the better you become at it. I would find games and challenges or playoffs where memorizing, performing and reading the basic signs quickly is required in order to succeed. Make this part intense so you can enjoy the fruits of it all year.
    Digo yo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the don't cut them out solution with the weight adjustment in the final grade. Then you still get the easier time grading their work. And, for a student to be able to check their work before it gets graded, they can see what they're doing wrong after one or two problems instead of wondering all throughout the assignment if they're just wasting their time because they misunderstood or are idiots. which they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Jaron says... Maybe "idiots" was a little harsh, but... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I gave you all my educational pearls of wisdom while you were here visiting. I was all about what's easier for me as a teacher. Lots of busy work that I threw away without grading it, just to keep them from getting out of control beforet he bell rang. But we have different teaching styles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Randy (He doesn't have an account, so he can't comment but he voted to leave them in):
    Without the answers in the back of the book, most students have done well anyway.  Having the answers won't make that group lazy. The ones who wouldn't normally do well will have the advanage of checking their work, but if they don't study, they would do poorly either way

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a former student, and the one that had to grade all the stupid papers *grumble grumble* I say cut them out. Yes there are some pro's but if you leave them in you will get an ear full after they get their test scores back. More complaining about lower grades. You are in your classroom enough that they can come to you for help. They have time and resources available if they choose to use them. Maybe get your ASL 3 students on a tutor list to keep them fresh til their class? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say leave them. Perhaps you could give them a quiz at the beginning of the semester, to demonstrate you're serious about this "but you still have to study" business. You know, send them a message. But on a day-to-day basis, not having any way to verify that you're getting it is absolute TORTURE, and definitely doesn't make you any smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leave them in, I agree. Let the homework be practice, not game time; you have all the leeway in the world to CFU during class time.

    ReplyDelete