Monday, January 5, 2009

"You are everything I hope to become someday"

Today I got the sweetest note from one of my students.  She seems like more than a student though.  She's had somewhat of a rough young life and had to mature more quickly than normal because of it.  I've kind of taken her under my wing and let her vent to me and I to her more so than a typical teacher/student relationship would allow.  I think she needs it though, and I'm sure I do too.  At any rate, she spends a lot of time in my classroom and we see each other at Deaf Community events.  We've even gone bouldering together. 

Today she gave me a Christmas present and this note was with it.  The title of this blog is a line from that note.  I can't help but to feel like she doesn't have her sights set high enough.  

Isn't it interesting how other people perceive us?
To her, I'm a successful, independent, active woman who has everything together.  To me... well, that line just makes me laugh.  I mean, I definitely enjoy my life and I'll admit I'm not a complete screw-up, but I am far from the end product I hope to become.

It makes me think, though, about the people I admired growing up and those I look up to now.  It's so interesting that they're just people.  Now it makes sense why, any time I said something like that to a neighbor or friend's parent or anyone really, they would roll their eyes, blush and say thanks and usually refer back to their messy house or undone hair.  

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your estimation of you. Just kidding! I just got your text message you sent after the Utah game, and had to say something dirty. You're pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol... I didn't mean this to be a self-deprecating post, but that WAS quite the game. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if you will ever read this, but I wanted to say it anyways. I meant what I said. When I get to your age I do hope to be like you. You have been a great example to me and have gone far beyond the extra mile. I know I am just another student and I will graduate and be gone, but you have affected my life. You told me that we all make a difference, even when we don't know it. You are a wonderful person and you deserve many brownie points in heaven for all the things you have done for me. Thanks for everything "Mom"!

    ReplyDelete