Thursday, July 2, 2009

MS 150 turned 170-ish

I'm a few days late in reporting, but I think I probably should document this experience in some way.
I completed the MS 150 bike ride last weekend in Logan.  Randy used to work for Hammer Nutrition, so he sent me with all kinds of powder to make shakes and pills for electrolytes and stuff like that, along with eating instructions.  
The first day was the century ride.  You were given the option of completing the 40, 75, or 100-mile route.  Of course I was determined to do the 100-mile route.  I didn't eat much for breakfast, per Randy's advice, and kept fueled with the stuff he'd given me.  It actually worked out really well.  
I went up with Devin (Rob's friend who does this ride and has organized a group every year for the last 7 years) and his friend, Jared.  Jared was really struggling at the 50-mile mark and ended up just taking the 75-mile route back.  Devin had a time goal this time around, so that's right around when I told him to go ahead without me.  
I was actually pretty impressed by my pace and how good I felt right up until about mile 85, then I was just beat.  I met a lady and got talking with her, which helped both of us get through the last few miles.  Seriously, the last 5 were the hardest I've ever done.  Right around then I kept trying to remind myself that I was grateful to have a body that allowed me to push it that hard.  Grateful to have my good health and kept thinking of those people who didn't have that.  It felt SO good to cross that finish line and know what I had just accomplished.

The next day we were also given the option to do a 40, (unofficial) 50, or 75-mile ride.  Devin said that normally they take the 50-mile route, which was supposed to be a pretty easy recovery ride up a canyon.  I started out with Devin and his chiropractor partner, Jay.  (Partner in their chiropractor business... not his partner who happens to be a chiropractor... Just wanted to clarify)  
So anywayzzz, we started through the city, following the route to the canyon.  Devin had to leave early, so he took off ahead, rode for a bit of the canyon, then headed back.  I rode most of the route with Jay, got to the turn-around point, and he said he needed to get a ride back to the fairgrounds (the start/finish and where we were camping) early, so I took off by myself.
I got back to the city but didn't know which way to go.  Long story short, I found some bikers and thought I was on the short route back to the fairgrounds.  I kept asking people if this route led back to the fairgrounds cuz I did NOT want to do the whole 75-mile route.  One guy told me that I was on the 75-mile route and that I might as well finish it out cuz it was the quickest way back to the fairgrounds at that point.   I thought he was joking.  

Turns out he wasn't.

So there was one section of that route that I believe I skipped, making my route about 70 miles instead of the full 75.  It would have been ok, except I kept thinking the end was right around this next corner and I also hadn't eaten to prepare for that long of a ride.  We had a kind of heavy breakfast and because I kept thinking the end was right around the corner I didn't take all the rest stops available.  I even saw "4 miles" spray-painted on the road at one point, so I thought I'd finally made it.  That must have been for something else, though, cuz I still had about 15 miles go to at that point.

I did finally make it back and luckily (for me) Jay had had car problems, so he was still there when I arrived so he was able to give me a much-needed adjustment before I left.

My final conclusion- Road biking is boring.  I do not see why people would do it outside of a competition except maybe to train for one.  I can see the appeal of the event, but I am still undecided on whether or not I will do this again next year.  Maybe if actually train in advance and I can convince some more people to join me I will...  Any takers?  :)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Tress! You're amazing, you are... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Tressa! I knew you could do it...even without training. :) SOunds like your summer is going well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy mackerel. That's so much miles! You might as well do a cross-country trip, you've practically already done it. And I'll go with you, fo sho. Well, probably not if it start in utah. But if you go, say, from D.C. to New Orleans, I'll definitely go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know no one will see this, but for the record I did the century ride in 7 1/2 hours. I don't remember what my 70-ish time was... I was just glad to be done with that one!
    Ride tunes (provided by my own self) were "Chasing Pavement" and "What goes up must come down." :)

    ReplyDelete