Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Superstitions

So the other day I was driving along and I saw a couple of pigeons in the middle of the road.  I always think it's weird when people swerve to miss birds, I mean, they've got wings!  They can get out of the way if they want to, right??  So yeah... I didn't swerve.  And he didn't fly away.  When I realized he wasn't going to get out of the way I did swerve to try to at least make him go under my car instead of under my tire, but he was a little taller than I had anticipated...
After a soft thump and a tuft of feathers in my rear view mirror, I watched to see how he had come out.  He was still walking on the road, albeit a little quicker than he was before...
I really really felt bad.  Really. 
Then later that day, I was driving along and a couple of little sparrows were flying around pretty low and I thought I heard one of them hit my bumper...  I can't be sure because there were no feathers flying around or anything that time.
Seriously though, two birds in one day?!?
I decided today to see if that's bad luck.  I didn't see anything related to hitting birds on this website, but I did think some of the other stuff was interesting, so I thought I'd share.

3 comments:

  1. Well you do like to be efficient, 2 birds with one car in one day, sounds like you! Bird Killer! Oh well there are too many of them anyways and they can't be taught sign language, useless animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once drove to mexico once with my roommate and a couple of girls. My roommate and I would switch off driving so we didn't fall asleep and die. I never hit anything, but he murdered like 5 jackrabbits, it was an awful thumping sound. He felt horrible, but just kept on hitting them. I told him not to worry, that the jackrabbit families probably weren't sitting around the dinner table waiting for dad to come home from work. The mom jackrabbits probably weren't telling their children, "daddy works very hard, I'm sure he just got a little behind. He'll be home any minute." But he still felt bad, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit a pheasant on the freeway by orem once. He was off to the side and I didn't think I'd hit him. I sort of swerved toward him, very gradually, thinking I was just scaring him into flying away. I murdered him. Murdered him bad. Looked into the rearview mirror and saw nothing but feathers. Just like on Spy Hunter when you do an oil slick. It took up the whole lane. Then I had to deal with glare after glare of animal loving drivers as they passed me. I still smile when I think of it.

    ReplyDelete